The BBS is a small, hand-held device that delivers soap and water whenever it's needed. It is activated by a simple squeeze of the bottle making it simple and easy to use in the messiest of situations. It holds enough solution to clean up to 10 wet nappy changes or dirty hands while taking up minimal space.
As registered, practising nurses and mothers, the BBS founding team have a strong understanding of the importance of hygiene. Upon examining general parental nursery practices, it became apparent that there were many opportunities to do better as:
- 1. Soap (emollient based, non-rinse) and water were often excluded from the process.
- 2. Some products used contain potential skin irritants. Alcohol hand gels don’t remove residue.
- 3. Some products used were not suitable for sensitive skin.
- 4. Effectively cleaning hard to reach areas was often difficult.
- 5. Some products were inadequate in cleaning up the dreaded explosion!, this requires water.
- 6. There is no option to wash your hands after changing a nappy, when out and about. Some public toilets, don’t always have a hand wash available.
According to one study, “Hand washing reduces diarrhoea episodes by 30%".¹ Poor hygiene both in the cleaning process of changing nappies and long term hand hygiene habits directly contribute to these statistics(Ejemot-Nwadiaro, Ehiri, Arikpo, Meremikwu, & Critchley, 2015).
It has been recommended by industry professionals to “use gentle and no scented soap and water to clean the diaper area, paying special attention to the folds" (Brucker, McGuire, Merrill, Rossing, & Sayaseng, 2015).